- A plastic ketchup bottle filled with raspberry, chocolate or caramel sauce and use it to embellish a dessert plate with zigzags, swirls, or polka dots.
- Christmas Tree Lights - go from bottom to top and back down again. Easier to remove provides better coverage.
- Life Savers - place candle inside to create stable base on a cake.
- Paper Towel Stand - ribbon organizer
- Reuse old plastic soap bottles as ice blocks. Fill to an inch from top, freeze. As ice melts squirt out of bottle for washing hands, rinsing, etc. Use to keep groceries cool.
- Measure dry ingredients over a clean sheet of waxed paper. Spoon onto a measuring cup and level the top with a straight edge (or butter knife), sweeping excess onto the paper.
- Once you've measured, pick up the paper and funnel the excess back into the cannister. Save the paper for the next time. If you like, or use it to line a cake pan.
- Use a bulletin board in laundry room to hand up useful items i.e. clothing, toys that have been removed, extra buttons, hotel sewing kits, mini scissors.
- File Rack - store cookie sheets and.or cutting boards in a file rack.
- Spring - a heavy gauge spring can act as a horizontal file to keep your papers upright.
- Twist tie keep cables organized
- File folder labels -cord labelers
- Napkin holder - bill organizer
- Track your energy levels - each hour and record them from 1 to 10
- Binder clips - attach two 3/4 inch clips to the bottom of a card or photograph for a stand up exhibit.
Old ketchup bottle - use it to disperse pancake mix into the frying pan.
Wrap aluminum foil around door knobs when painting.
To get baked-on crud off a glass pan or oven rack use a ball of foil.
Ice Cubes - Drop a clean mint leaf, a strawberry, raspberry, grape or a twist of lemon peel or even a peppermint candy.
Colour & Mood
Calm - stone, sand, wood and watery blues and lavender
Cheerful - yellow, orange, pink, blue and green (vibrant & punch7)
Dramatic - saturated tones - re, espresso brown, burnt umber, gold, blank
Nostalgic - blue, green ochre, wood browns, warm, enduring colours, gold, silver, nickel and brass
Filing Cabinets - Use a citrus based shipped and a metal brush to remove the enamel paint.
Water Hyacinth -Infiltrating Lake Victoria so look for products made from it
Storage - use a shoe hanger for barbie dolls, plastic jars for puzzle pieces
Rubber Bands - use as a divider on a glass/jar - pens, etc.
Organizing in 5 Steps
- Maintain daily habits (and the habits of those around you).
- Identify the messiest, most chaotic areas.
- Change the environment. People do not change.
- Consider options (there are endless options).
- Make it unique. Make it fun. Make it yours.
Basics of Organizing
- Identify the significant pieces
- sort by (one or more)
- Detail to the required degree
I just finished reading Upgrade your Life: The Lifehacker guide to working smarter, faster, better. Wow, I am impressed. There are several great ideas. My favourite are the tips for organizing your email program. A short synopsis can be found on the LifeHacker website.
Basically, you restrict yourself to 4 folders - Inbox, Follow Up, Hold, and Archive. Amazingly simple and amazingly productive.
Just to let you know, this page was last updated Wednesday, Jan 22 20