- Adapting to Web Standards: CSS and Ajax for Big Sites
- Art of Non-Conformity
- Art of Readable Code
- Back to the User: Creating User-Focused Web Sites
- Beginning PHP6, Apache, MySQL Web Development
- Books to Read
- Bored and Brilliant
- Born For This
- Complete E-Commerce Book
- Content Inc
- Core PHP Programming
- CSS3: Pushing the Limits
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Defensive Design for the Web
- Deliver First Class Web sites
- Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty
- Designing Web Interfaces
- Designing Web sites that Work: Usability for the Web
- Designing with Progressive Enhancement
- Developing Large Web Applications
- Economics of Software Quality
- Epic Content Marketing
- Extending Bootstrap
- Flexible Web Layouts
- Happiness At Work
- Inmates Are Running the Asylum
- jQuery Pocket Reference
- Letting Go of the Words
- Making Every Meeting Matter
- Manage Your Day to Day
- Marketing to Millenials
- Monster Loyalty
- More Eric Meye on CSS
- Official Ubuntu Book
- Organized Home
- Perennial Seller
- PHP In a NutShell
- PHP Refactoring
- PHP5 CMS Framework Development
- PHP6 and MySQL Bible
- Responsive Web Design with HTML and CSS3
- Rules of Thumb
- Saleable Software
- Securing PHP Web Applications
- Simple and Usable Web, Mobile and Interaction Design
- Smart Organizing
- The Life-changing Magic of Tidying up
- This Is Marketing
- Web site Usability
- Web Site Usability: A Designer's Guide
- Web Word Wizardy
- Whats Stopping Me
- Work for Money, Design for Love
- Checklists I Have Collected or Created
- Crafts To Do
- Database and Data Relations Checklist
- Ecommerce Website Checklist
- My Front End UI Checklist
- New Client Needs Analysis
- Newsletters I Read
- Style Guides
- User Review Questions
- Web Designer's SEO Checklist
- Web site Review
- Website Code Checklist
- Website Final Approval Form
- Writing Content For Your Website
- Writing Styleguide
- Writing Tips
- Complete Book of Potatoes
- Creating Custom Soil Mixes for Healthy, Happy Plants
- Edible Forest Garden
- Garden Design
- Gardening Tips and Tricks
- Gardens and History
- Light Candle Levels
- My Garden
- My Garden To Plant
- Organic Fertilizers
- Organic Gardening in Alberta
- Plant Nurseries
- Plant Suggestions
- Planting Tips and Ideas
- Root Cellaring
- Things I Planted in My Yard
- Way We Garden Now
- 101 Organic Gardening Hacks
- Beautiful No-Mow Lawns
- Beginner's Guide to Heirloom Vegetables
- Best of Lois Hole
- Eradicate Invasive Plants
- Gardening Books to Read
- Gardens West
- Grow Organic
- Grow Your own Herbs
- Guerilla Gardening
- Heirloom Life Gardener
- Indoor Gardening: The Organic Way
- Real Gardens Grow Natives
- Seed Underground
- Small plot, high yield gardening
- Thrifty Gardening from the Ground Up
- Veggie Garden Remix
- What Grows Here
- Activities for Kids
- Baking & Cooking Tips
- Bertrand Russell
- Can I Get that on Sale?
- Cleaning Tips and Tricks
- Colour Palettes I Like
- Compound Time
- Cooking Tips
- Crafts for Kids
- Household Tips
- Interior Design
- Keywording & Tags
- Latin Phrases
- Laundry Tips
- Learn Something New
- Links, Information, and Cool Videos - Stuff for My Kids
- My Miscellany
- Reading List
- Silly Sites
- Things that Make Me Laugh
- Videos to Watch
- YouTube Hacks
- Business Tips
- Content Management systems
- Creating Emails & Email Newsletters
- I Made A Framework
- Patterns, Textures and other media
- PHP Coding Standards
- Project Verbs for to do lists
- Qualities of Creative Leaders
- Scalable Vector Graphics
- Software Design
- The Shell, Scripts and Such
- Writing Instructions
- CSS Frameworks
- CSS Reading List
- CSS Sticky Footer
- Design of Sites
- htaccess files
- HTML Tips and Tricks
- Landing Page Tips
- Making Better Websites
- More Information on CSS
- MySQL and Databases
- Responsive Design
- Robots.txt File
- Security and Secure Websites
- SVG Images
- UI and UX and Design
- Web Design and Development
- Web Design Tools
- Web Error Codes
- Website Testing Checklist
- Writing for the Web
- Writing Ideas for your website
- Animations and Interactions
- Being a Better Designer
- Bootstrap Resources
- Color in Web Design
- CSS Preprocessors: Sass and Less
- CSS Tips Tricks
- Design Systems
- Designing User Interfaces
- Font & Typographical Inspiration
- Fonts, Typography, Letters & Symbols
- Logo Designs
- Photoshop Tips and Tricks
- UX and UI and Design Reading List
- Web Forms
- Well Designed
"Content is just content, unless its driving behaviour change in customers and prospects. Then its called 'content marketing."
A content marketing strategy comes before your social media strategy. Content is what powers the connection with your customers. Social media does not work without valuable, consistent and compelling information creation and distribution. Content helps your placement in search engines.
Make mobile your top channel strategy; repurpose all your content; develop professional editorial practices; make your reader the number one priority.
Content Marketing vs Traditional Marketing
- Focuses on the customer, not the company.
- Pulls the customers in with relevant content, not a one size fits all solution. Creates a two-way conversation, not a monologue because it is dynamic and easy to change.
- There are less risks and longer shelf life.
- Provides proof marketing is working and is easier to measure results.
- Maximizes word of mouth referrals.
- Happens before and after a sale.
- 'sell by not selling' - content fosters trust
Content marketing strategy and plan needs to be a personal statement that combines business objectives with the informational needs of your audience.
- Fill a need
- Be consistent
- Be human; Have a point of view
- Avoid sales speak
- Be the best of your breed
- Become part of the content fabric for your customers
To be successful in content marketing, you need to develop the absolute best information in your industry.
Business goals of content marketing
- brand awareness or reinforcement
- lead conversion and nurturing
- customer conversion
- customer service (and loyalty and retention)
- customer upset
- passionate subscribers
You are not the target for your content.
Engagement cycle: a combination of the intense sales process and the customers' buying cycle.
Process the audience goes through as you help them engage with your brand.
Sales funnel process:
contacts > leads > qualified opportunity > finalists > verbal agreement
Define your content niche: on what topic can you be the leading expert in the world?
if your content is gone, would anyone miss it?
become a trusted expert
focus on your niche with the most valuable portion of your audience
The mission statement should consist of
core audience target + material delivered to audience + outcome for the audience
Your mission statement should guide your content strategy. Decided on what content to create by comparing it to your mission statement.
a prioritized list of what you are publishing based on your content strategy. Assigned content producer(s) and/or editors responsible for content channel(s) for the content.
Metadata (tags to track what your's working on and its role in the content strategy).
Dates for creation and publishing.
Make sure you create and follow an editorial style guide (tone, voice and branding guidelines)
Before you can determine what content you need, you should do a content audit. Content inventory consists of the following: unique id, page title, web address, document type, R.O.T (redundant, outdated, or tired), notes
SEO: make a list of keywords
Focus on a search phrase.
- Is it relevant?
- How are you already ranking for the phrase?
- how much traffic do you receive for the phrase?
- are you getting traffic for similar words?
- is the phrase already converting?
- are there calls to action on the page?
- are there related pages to support an internal link strategy?
- how does the phrase fit in your future content?
- is the phrase in the domain name?
Are you commenting on other people's blogs?
A year from now, what is different?
Measure behaviour that matters to your business.
converted leads per week/month/quarter
total cost per converted lead
email list subscribers vs goals
the total number leads by week/month/quarter
incremental leads from new content
Content is Currency - Jon Weubben (2012)Get Content Get
Customers - Joe Pulizzi and
Newt BarrettZero Moment of Truth
(Google)Fascinate - Sally Hogshead (2010)
Epic Content Marketing
by Joe Pulizzi
2014: McGraw Hill Education, Toronto.
These are notes I made after reading this book. See more book notes
Just to let you know, this page was last updated Monday, Jun 21 21